At the start of 2021, we began the challenge of reading the bible in a year. But just because it is no longer the start of the year does not mean you missed your chance to join. Feel free to jump in at any time. You can start where we are at and take every day as a challenge to discover the bible passages for that day.
Check out what it is all about below:
Would you like the challenge of reading the bible in a year and accountability to keep you reading?
This group is for you!
The purpose is to:
- Get an overall understanding of the bible
- Learn new things about God
- Develop a healthy spiritual habit of reading scripture daily
- Connect with other curious readers challenging themselves
What is needed:
- A willing heart to challenge oneself and commit to reading daily
- A smartphone
- WhatsApp - free to download on the appstore
- A Bible or Bible app (such as biblegateway) - in whatever translation you prefer to read
How the group works:
- Each morning at 6:30 am you will receive a Whatsapp message with the daily reading
- Throughout the day the group will chat about the reading from the morning (you can turn on/off notifications depending on what suits your communication style)
- Each evening at 8:30 pm you will receive a reminder about the days reading and a note of encouragement to keep going.
How to participate:
- Text "BIBLE-IN-A-YEAR" with your FULL NAME to Angela G. @ 403-560-2688
- You will receive an invitation to join the group
- Follow the invitation instructions to download the App and join the group
- You are welcome to invite friends to this group, by sharing this page and instructions
- You can join at any time during the year and pick up where we are at
- You can also leave the group at any time without judgement
- This group is for anyone, for people who have never read the bible, or for those who have it memorized
- The group will officially run from January 1 to December 31, 2021
- The full reading plan is by the 19th Century Scottish minister, Robert Murray M’Cheyne, who lived from 1813-1843, prepared a plan for Bible reading to take readers through the New Testament and Psalms twice a year, and through the rest of the Bible once each year. There are approximately 4 chapters per day in this plan
- The full reading plan is available to download and print below (we will be reading all chapters, please ignore the family/secret titles) or you can find it at https://www.biblegateway.com/reading-plans/mcheyne/next
- Angela has chosen this reading plan simply because it gives a diverse group of readings per day. She has read the bible from cover to cover in the past and also chronologically, this reading plan is new to her and she is eager to read it over the coming year and share in the journey with you!
- Angela Graftaas is leading the group and welcomes any questions/comments